NJ Simpson Family Chronicles

Here's the deal: anyone in the "Contributors" list can post an entry, and then of course can be replied to. The general idea is that we'll use this to assemble a family history (to the extent possible).

If you're having any trouble logging in, posting messages or comments, or anything else at all, just get in touch with John. (He's in the "Contributors" list. :)

Friday, November 26, 2004

Nicknames

In his comment to the "Pets I Have Known" thread of postings, Mike reminds us of Barney's nickname as "The Dancing Dog."

This got a wave of associations going for me, centered around the subject of family nicknames.

There was "Bud," of course. (Anyone have any idea why he wasn't simply called John? Hmm... maybe to avoid confusion with John/John Jay Pennell?)

And I remember Pop-Pop calling Mom "Sis" quite a bit. (Then there was/is Doug's nickname for her, namely "Lou," which is kind of in a class by itself.)

"Jack" was (still is :) a nickname for John Morris Foster; I do remember calling him "Jackie" every now and then.

Besides the popular (except to me) "Kins," I remember various people calling me "Simp" (particularly Dean O). Lindsay Burbage used to call me "Chub," which was short for "Chubby Cheeks." Although Jimmy sometimes called me "Strap," that doesn't count -- he called many people that.

The only nickname I remember for Connie is "Contraire," but I think it dilutes the impact somewhat that she seemed to have adopted that nickname for herself.

Cindy and Mike, together, were sometimes referred to by Connie and me as "The Sweetie Twins," for their habit of uniting against us (well, mostly against Connie, who needed uniting against) out of self-preservation.

I have a vague sense that Connie used to call Cindy "Chunkus." Not sure of the spelling, though; maybe it was "Chunkess," i.e. a female Chunk. Or maybe "Chunkous," for "full of chunks."

Drawing a complete blank here on nicknames for Mike. This seems incomprehensible and very unlikely to me.

What am I missing?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home