Mysterious nonsense
As you know, there are a ton of words and phrases capable of triggering entire chapters of family history. Think "Buuuuud! You're neither fart nor smunny!" Or "Seventeen" (uttered with a self-satisfied tug of an eyelash). Like that.
That's not what this post is about, though. What I'm thinking of are words and phrases which stick in our heads for their family associations, but which are either essentially meaningless, or meaningful only to one of us, in some strange private way. It was triggered by Cindy's post referring to the "matilady room" in Mom-Mom and Pop-Pop's house. (I'd never imagined it spelled that way, I must admit, and I had to read it a couple times before I got it. It looked like the lead-in to the punchline of what might have been one of Doug's old jokes, to wit: "Nothin's the matta with me, buster, what's the matta with you?")
Anyway, I've got two such to get the ball rolling:
How about the rest of you? Any glimpses into the childhood psyche triggered by a word, phrase, or sentence?
That's not what this post is about, though. What I'm thinking of are words and phrases which stick in our heads for their family associations, but which are either essentially meaningless, or meaningful only to one of us, in some strange private way. It was triggered by Cindy's post referring to the "matilady room" in Mom-Mom and Pop-Pop's house. (I'd never imagined it spelled that way, I must admit, and I had to read it a couple times before I got it. It looked like the lead-in to the punchline of what might have been one of Doug's old jokes, to wit: "Nothin's the matta with me, buster, what's the matta with you?")
Anyway, I've got two such to get the ball rolling:
- "Fatty, fatty, boom-a-laddy": No idea how this one should be spelled, either, but that's about how it sounded. Mom-Mom used to chant this as she, uh, dandled (is that a word?) one of us toddlers on her knees. Actually, I don't remember her ever chanting it to me, but I assume she did because I remember it with each of the other three. Weirdly, whenever I heard it I thought of Lassie, though what the TV dog had to do with dandling is anybody's guess.
- "Oh, that -- that's just a fatty tumor": Up until sometime in high school or maybe even college, I had this bulbous sort of growth on the middle section of the middle finger of my left hand. (A trace of it still remains, but I'm probably the only person in the world who can see it.) I used to sneak furtive glances at family members, friends, and complete strangers, but never saw one of these things on anyone else's hands. Finally, I worked up the nerve to ask Mom about it; this sentence was how she replied (after a judicious pause to collect her thoughts) to reassure me. Oddly, it did reassure me -- but if I'd heard it for the first time a few years later, I would have lain awake at nights in a fever of neurosis, like, Omigod I have cancer of the finger!
How about the rest of you? Any glimpses into the childhood psyche triggered by a word, phrase, or sentence?
1 Comments:
Watermelon? Our Gang? You're probably right. Now that I think about it, I wonder if what I'm remembering is the Drakes Ring-Ding jingle (actually less a jingle than a chant): "Ring-Ding, Ring-Ding, wish I had a Ring-Ding... [body of commercial] ...Ring-Ding, Ring-Ding, wish I had another Ring-Ding!"
Post a Comment
<< Home