Clarifying...
Mike may have had something else in mind entirely, and if so I apologize to him. But what I was hoping this blog would be used for is not simple "family tree"-type information. (Eventually, maybe.)
Instead, for now all I'm thinking of is that this will be a place for us to pool our collective knowledge about family members. Lord knows I've got enough gaps in my memory and/or knowledge of them all (for proof of which, you need merely read any of my replies to Mike's original questions). I suspect we might all be in the same boat in that regard.
See, one thing that has always haunted me is that we all knew various family members who -- except for our collective memories -- would otherwise just be placeholders in a typical family tree. It seems a shame that that would happen. These people were all more than just a range of dates, after all; they had jobs, they smiled in particular ways, they had their own (let's say) personal peculiarities, they had favorite singers, radio/TV programs, movies, and so on. I'd love to be able to capture those kinds of details and preserve them (however ephemerally) on the Web, maybe archive them later to some sort of continuous narrative -- like the blog name says, a "family chronicle."
Also, while the blog name specifies "Simpson," of course I'd hope any other families in the four of our bloodlines would be fair game: Fosters, Lesters, Wennerholts, Pennells....
That's all I can think of for now. :)
Instead, for now all I'm thinking of is that this will be a place for us to pool our collective knowledge about family members. Lord knows I've got enough gaps in my memory and/or knowledge of them all (for proof of which, you need merely read any of my replies to Mike's original questions). I suspect we might all be in the same boat in that regard.
See, one thing that has always haunted me is that we all knew various family members who -- except for our collective memories -- would otherwise just be placeholders in a typical family tree. It seems a shame that that would happen. These people were all more than just a range of dates, after all; they had jobs, they smiled in particular ways, they had their own (let's say) personal peculiarities, they had favorite singers, radio/TV programs, movies, and so on. I'd love to be able to capture those kinds of details and preserve them (however ephemerally) on the Web, maybe archive them later to some sort of continuous narrative -- like the blog name says, a "family chronicle."
Also, while the blog name specifies "Simpson," of course I'd hope any other families in the four of our bloodlines would be fair game: Fosters, Lesters, Wennerholts, Pennells....
That's all I can think of for now. :)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home