NJ Simpson Family Chronicles

Here's the deal: anyone in the "Contributors" list can post an entry, and then of course can be replied to. The general idea is that we'll use this to assemble a family history (to the extent possible).

If you're having any trouble logging in, posting messages or comments, or anything else at all, just get in touch with John. (He's in the "Contributors" list. :)

Thursday, August 12, 2004

Bud's jobs

I'm determined to teach you guys how to do this blogging thing. :) An important consideration is when to create a new post vs. when to comment. In the present circumstance, Mike branched off from one of Cindy's posts with a whole 'nother line of thought... but he did it as a comment rather than a new post.

I think it warrants its own thread, so I'm starting one here, with Mike's question. Namely:

How many different places did Dad work after they got married?
Then I replied:

Dad's jobs that I remember...:
- Public Service (bus place)
- Carpenter
- "The Foam Rubber Plant"
- RCA Moorestown
- Tenneco (later a/k/a whatever-it-was)

I think the welding thing might've predated Mom & Dad's marriage.

And there was always saw sharpening. :)


And then Mike added, most recently:

Tenneco later became Occidental and since has become something else. In addition to the full time stuff, I remember him doing some freelance stuff such as all his years of teaching drums at Burlington Music Center. Was it a lot of years that he did the drums thing? I always thought of the carpentry stuff as filling in the blanks whenever he got laid off (how many time was that!?). Working with Charlie Heck, Warren Mayer, Lechleidner, etc. - was that all the carpentry stuff too? Or was that just sipping beers, hanging out by the pool, and hanging out at the lodge. (I know - MORE questions! I just can't help my self). (I apparrently can't stop with the parentheses either. But I digress!) I also remember the RCA gig being somewhat non-linear. Worked there, got laid off, worked somewhere else, came to RCA. Anyone else have a similar perspective?

Okay, now the way it would (should) work is that any more discussion about Dad's work would appear as comments to this post. Does that make sense?

3 Comments:

Blogger JES said...

My God, how could I have forgotten the drum lessons?

I'm pretty sure he was doing them at some point when I was a squirt... 10 or so? Mostly because I remember his trying to enlist me in his Devil's Work. :) To this day I can still remember the different right- and left-hand drumstick grips, and I can still remember many tedious hours (it was probably only minutes) of bouncing the damn things on a practice pad.

And then there's the semi-formal portrait of him in a suit, holding the drumsticks before him. That must have been in the late '70s or early '80s, judging from the look of him.

All the stuff with Warren and Hecky was, um, not really carpenter-type work in the sense of getting paid for it. Mostly I think it was an excuse to hang out with the guys!

I don't really remember any layoffs from RCA. Do remember numerous strikes, though. Under normal circumstances, we'd pile into the station wagon to pick him up at 4, or maybe it was 4:30. (Yes, we did that for the foam-rubber plant, but also later for RCA.) It seemed terrifically exotic to pick him up when he was on strike -- all those guys sitting on lawn chairs at the edge of the parking lot. Seemed like heaven to me, like "What a great job!"... but of course I didn't have to worry where the next meal was coming from.

6:01 PM  
Blogger JES said...

Got the following comment from Mom in an e-mail today:

"Bud also worked part time at the A&P on route 130. He worked there in the morning and then went to work at RCA from 2:00 to 12:00. He probably got sick from all the meals I prepared for him at that ungodly hour of 12:00. Heavens only knows what I fed him.

"...He also gave drum lessons to drum and bugle corps. That was his "pin" money!!! And yes, the hanging out with "Hecky" and Warren were also just a "guy" thing! And don't forget the hours he spent (no money for this) helping to build the Masonic Temple in Riverside. He did carpentry work whenever he got laid off from one of his jobs. He was definitely a conscientious provider!"

[John again:] I am absolutely certain I don't remember Dad working at any supermarket, A&P or otherwise!

2:43 PM  
Blogger JES said...

Re: Mike's comments...:

I do remember the Fairview St. A&P, also the... oh God, another big hole in my memory -- what's the street a ways up River Road, crosses the railroad tracks a block before the Macmillan's warehouse (or whatever THAT is these days)... God, what's WRONG with me, of course I mean Chester Avenue! [pulling self together] Anyway, I also remember an Acme Market there at the corner of Chester Ave. and the RR tracks, Front Street I guess.

But (to keep this on-topic), I don't remember any of us (including Mom and Dad) working at either supermarket.

Will answer the question about getting Mom on-line here off the blog, via e-mail. :)

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home